A charter school is a public school open to children in their given district. Charter schools are free and do not charge any tuition fees.
Charters implement the same standards as traditional public schools but have the flexibility to use different teaching styles so students can reach their full academic potential.
Benefits of Charters
- Typically a close knit community since applicants chose to attend for a common reason
- Smaller school and class size
- Parental involvement is encouraged, giving charter schools a family atmosphere
- Not a one-size-fits-all education
- Fewer discipline problems
- Siblings get priority in future lotteries for a charter
- Short application
- May take students from multiple districts
What to Watch Out For
- Most charters require uniforms which the parents will have to buy
- Parents usually have to provide transportation
- Smaller charter schools don’t offer as many sports or extracurricular activities as traditional schools
- Applicants are selected by a lottery system
- Different enrollment periods for each school
Atlanta Public School Charters – List of quick facts about the different charter schools in Atlanta including grades, date the school opened, and school contact information in one spot.
Blog: What Should You Know About Charter Schools? – Informative blog post on charter schools with a quick video about what they are and why you should consider one.
Blog: Charter Schools vs. Public Schools – In-depth article about the differences between charter schools and public schools.