Public School Transfers
Public school transfers (or intradistrict transfers) allow students the option to attend a public school outside of their neighborhood or zoned school area, if space is available.
Benefits of Transferring
- Can transfer to a higher performing school
- Can switch to a school that has academic programs your child is interested in
- The transfer lasts through the highest grade of the transfer school
What to Watch Out For
- Districts have different deadlines
- Random lottery occurs if there aren’t enough spaces upon applying
- Parents must provide transportation
- Can affect the eligibility for athletic/ extracurricular activities
Atlanta Public Schools: Transfer FAQ’s
List of frequently asked questions and answers, application help, and application dates.
GA DOE: Intra District Transfers
State site that discusses what an intra-district transfer is and how to qualify.
Blog: Tips And Guidelines For Requesting A School Transfer
Blog post that goes over the general reasons for a transfer and how to be prepared for one.
Atlanta Public Schools: Student Transfers
Atlanta Public Schools information about student transfer options.